In honor of the Addams Family's creator, Charles Addams's birthday (the 7th of January), mental floss has put together a list of ten interesting facts about the man.
Below is a brief summary of the list. Read the full details of each fact on mental floss. Happy Birthday, Mr. Addams!
1. Many of the gags from the series and the movies are taken right from Addams’ old comics.
2. Charles and his third wife, Tee, got married in a pet cemetery to reflect their ghoulish sense of humor.
3. He was close friends with Ray Bradbury.
4. There were lots of rumors about his personal life.
5. Even if he didn’t dress the part, he decorated his apartment in exactly the manner you would expect.
6. He was quite the ladies’ man.
7. He loved to perpetuate the dark and creepy rumors about himself.
8. He opened his door one day and found Alfred Hitchcock standing there.
9. Charles was distantly related to John Adams, John Quincy Adams and Sam Adams.
10. But multiple descriptions say his first wife, Barbara Jean Day, was a dead ringer (pardon the pun) for Morticia.